Sunday, February 01, 2009

The 15th Annual Poetry Marathon at Woodland Pattern Book Center

I had the great honor of participating in the 15th Annual Poetry Marathon at Woodland Pattern Book Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin this past Saturday, January 31, 2009. The poetry readings ran from 10am until 1am the next day. This was truly a wonderful, literary experience. I want to thank our hosts at Woodland Pattern, the people who sponsored my time slot of 11am-12noon, as well as the local businesses who sponsored each hour of the marathon. This was my first time reading at this event. I explained to the audience that I was a recent transplant from New Hampshire. I felt very welcome in this supportive environment of very talented writers and appreciative listeners. What a wonderful crowd! I only wish I could have stayed to listen to all of the hours of performances. In the evening, they even had an hour devoted to songwriters and musicians who took turns with poets, and I think they had some collaborative efforts between writers and musicians.

The talent in that room was mind blowing! Each poet read an average of 4 poems, some just had one long spectacular poem to share. I was one of only two female poets during this hour. The rest were male poets who were all so clever and humorous in their styles. Our last poet even used props. The applause in that one room sounded like hundreds, because of the sincere appreciation of the audience. I felt very lucky to be surrounded by such fine writers. There is so much creative, synergistic energy when a group of poets get together.

Thank you to Woodland Pattern and thank you to my fellow poets for a wonderful day! I hope to return next year with a new set of poetic offerings to share.

If you happen to be in Milwaukee, Woodland Pattern Book Center now carries several copies of my latest poetry book, The Red Drum. Go in and have a browse at this amazing independent bookstore. You will find yourself gazing at the shelves in wonder at their thoughtful selections.

Thank you to Woodland Pattern for supporting local writers!

Keep Reading!
Cristina M. R. Norcross
www.FirkinFiction.com

No comments: