Friday, May 09, 2008

RIVER WALK: Poetry Inspired by Music

RIVER WALK
(Inspired by the music of Craig Werth, “Slow River”)


Finding my depth
in this new, slow river.
It carries me along
in its daily patterns and rhythms.
I hear the hum of town activity,
as the flow of rippling pathways
takes me past an old willow tree,
brushing the water’s surface
with broad strokes.
An oriole sits,
impossibly perched,
on the tip of a reed.
In perfect balance
he flashes me a glimpse of red and yellow,
like a flag guiding me in for a landing.

I am still a newcomer,
a stranger floating down
a lazy river.
The earth vibrates
just under my feet
on this solitary river walk,
where I will later bring my family.
Carved stones mark a place of memory
for town heroes.
Each monument is a breath of reverence
on a white bridge over water.

Follow the river to find
the soul of this day.
The sound of rushing water
has a hypnotic pull
for one who is stepping into a new life.
Stroll along the water’s edge
to hear the ebb and flow
of the future that meets you where you stand.


Cristina M. R. Norcross
Copyright 2008

For more information about Craig Werth and to hear samples of his music please visit: www.craigwerth.com - better yet, go see him on tour with David Francey!

No comments: