Tuesday, April 08, 2014

National Poetry Month 2014: Poem-a-Day Challenge with Writer's Digest and Words Dance Publishing DAY 1

Happy National Poetry Month!


I am a little behind in posting these poems from the National Poetry Month challenge with Writer's Digest.  Better late than never!  I have completed day 8 today.  I will create a post for each day's poem.  If you are subscriber ~ warning ~ you may get 8 e-mails from me today, but I promise that after that, it will only be one-per-day for the month of April.  By April 30th, you will have had you fill, I'm sure, and this writer will need a vacation!

The truth is ~ I probably write at least a poem each day, if not several.  The difference is that maybe 2 poems per week are worth saving and/or submitting somewhere.  These poems will be written and edited in just one day, which is not my style, but I am up for the challenge this month.

Here we go!  I hope you enjoy this journey with me.  Not every poem is going to be an opus.  I am prepared for this.  So be gentle, kind readers.  I will do my best to offer up some gems here and there.

Interested in joining in the poetic fun?  Follow this link to the Writer's Digest poem-a-day challenge.


DAY ONE: Today's writing prompt was to write a poem about beginnings and/or endings.



Echoes of You

The very beginning of you
is the furtive sun
not yet knowing how to hold your hand.
It is the stretching of muscles
when your tender feet meet the floor.

The very beginning of you
is storm cloud
and Big Bang.
It is the dancing dust whirl –
a tornado of life and light.

There is no end of you.
Your walk carries on –
your voice echoes
in the throat of a son
or granddaughter –
your cocoa butter skin,
the rich timbre of your voice,
the delicate way your fingers
embrace a pen.

Each new step
and each end of the road
leads to more of you –
the captured flutterings
of forget-me-not
and –
I am still here.

Cristina M. R. Norcross
Copyright 2014



No comments: