Wednesday, April 09, 2014

National Poetry Month Challenge - Day 9

Today's challenge was to write a shelter poem.  This is a poem about my first year of marriage, living in an abode of questionable construction.  All of it is true.


Our bungalow was just down the road from Marsden Rock (now two rocks)



South Shields Bungalow

Our bungalow-by-the-sea
was falling apart,
but it was all we had.
All of our wedding money
went to the move to England.

The bricks were slowly crumbling.
The backyard lawn consisted of long straw,
and we had no mower.
Everything was dark green –
the carpets,
the couch,
the curtains –
even the wallpaper.
I felt like I was living
in a bowl of pea soup.

When I wasn’t at my temp job
doing shift work,
I was writing.
There was no desk,
so we stacked some empty
milk crates and placed a piece of plywood on top.
It withstood my laptop,
my many hours of solitary typing,
and my heavy thinking.

One night, I flushed the plastic toilet freshener
by mistake.
Until the plumber came,
three days later,
we had to go to the pub
to use the bathroom.
The trick was to buy a pint,
so you looked like a customer,
but not drink so much of it,
that you would need to return to the pub
two hours later.

London was calling,
but for one year,
this bungalow-by-the-sea
gave two newlyweds shelter
from the storm.

Cristina M. R. Norcross
Copyright 2014


No comments: