Sunday, April 27, 2014

National Poetry Month Challenge - Day 27

Today's prompt was to write a monster poem.  This is normally not my genre of choice, so I opted to approach the poem with a bit of humor and human observation.  We'll see if it works.  There are no werewolves in my poem, but you may just recognize a few common traits.





The Ballad of Mr. Dissatisfied

It’s hopeless –
hopeless, I say.

The grass is not green enough.
My car is not flashy enough.
These eggs are not cheesy enough.
My house is not grand enough.
My shoes are not shiny enough.
The sun is not bright enough.

It’s hopeless –
just hopeless.

Time is too short.
My belly is not flat.
My nose is too long.
The list goes on and on.

If only.
If only.

I live in your ear,
whispering sweet nothings of
“you’re not good enough,”
and “you might as well quit.”

I am the monster
of dissatisfaction
living within.

But there is hope, you see.
The walls are melting,
along with my resolve.
A burden shared
is a burden broken in half.
Share my woes,
and you will see me slowly disappear.

A monster is only a monster,
if you feed it.
And just like that –
with this poem –
I am gone.

Cristina M. R. Norcross
Copyright 2014







No comments: