Tuesday, April 08, 2014

National Poetry Month Challenge - Day 6


Today's poetry writing prompt was to write a night poem.  It could be anything related to things that happen at night.  The first thing that came to my mind was the musical by Hugh Wheeler, "A Little night Music," so I just grabbed that title and followed the poem down the rabbit hole.  The poem doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the songs from that musical, but my brain likes to jump  and play with words, so I let my imagination wander a little here.  I thought about our house at night, as my little ones are getting ready for bed.



A Little Night Music

The notes of your voices echo,
as teeth are brushed
and faces washed.

The last dove stakes its claim
on the roof –
letting out one, last, soulful tune.

The basement pipes rumble
with rushing water,
as yesterday’s showers and dishes
are forgotten.

Bare feet on hard wood floors
scurry up
after one last glass of milk.

Books are read silently,
in unison.
A laugh of recognition here –
an “Oh” of surprise in chapter two.

These melodies of night converge
as heads rest on pillows,
and the house sings
its solitary song of sleep.

Cristina M. R. Norcross
Copyright 2014





No comments: