Monday, April 14, 2014

National Poetry Month Challenge - Day 14

Today's prompt was to finish the sentence:

"If I Were _______"

and use that as your title.  Here is my offering for today.



If I Were That Blade of Grass

Honey touched dew would
glide down my shoulder,
offering succor for the season’s
dry, parched earth.

If I were that blade of grass,
young squirrels would
launch themselves onto branches,
using my strong, frond-like length
as a trampoline.

If I were that blade of grass,
I would be in danger of suffering nibbles
from deer and small rabbits,
but I would let them.
My capacity for growth
is endless.

If I were that blade of grass,
I would sing in the wind,
like the sound a wine glass makes
when touched on the rim –
liquid circles of high notes
and low tones.

If I were that blade of grass,
I would welcome both the new green
and the fading brown –
accept my short comings
and keep growing.

Cristina M. R. Norcross
Copyright 2014


No comments: