Tuesday, April 08, 2014

National Poetry Month Challenge - Day 7

Today's challenge was to write a self-portrait poem.  On any given day, I have many selves ~ I am multi-faceted.  This is just a glimpse on the day I wrote this poem.  See if you can figure out which poet my title is inspired by.


Today I Am Emily
Who Are You?

Living many lives
in many countries
can lead to a certain
Transcendental Homelessness.

My accent is neutral,
but I can put on a pretty good
South London inflection –
and don’t get me started on
my former, Long Island accent.

Where I am from
is the here and now.
Cast no spells –
I will not transform into
frog or princess.

You don’t know who I am.

Chameleon poet –
I wander in and out of words,
weaving stones with nylon thread.
I slip through fingers
like a fish out of water,
which I always seem to be –
neither here nor there,
I try to be everywhere.

Always observing –
always the people watcher
at the café table
sipping wine –
wondering what
life I could create
for the young woman in green tights
or the man in the sweater with holes,
weaving from side to side
down the street.

This is who I am.
I am nobody –
I am known.

Cristina M. R. Norcross
Copyright 2014

No comments: