Sunday, April 20, 2014

National Poetry Month Challenge - Day 20

Today's prompt was to write a poem about family.  Despite jet lag and being on vacation, I am dutifully trying to keep up with my National Poetry Month challenge.  Here is my offering for today, gentle readers.


What This Mother Knows

It is because I know
my youngest will get hungry 
exactly two hours 
after having breakfast. 

It is because I know to put
a box of tissues between them
on the back seat,
to avoid the question,
"Mom, do you have any ... ?"

It is because I know
he likes a bottle of red wine
waiting on the counter
with garlic hummus on a Friday night -
pretzel sticks, not pretzel twists. 

It is because I know 
that he puts Tabasco sauce
on everything.
I keep it stocked in the fridge. 

It is because I know 
my youngest son's favorite t-shirt
is neon yellow with a blue stripe,
that I wash this one first.

It is because I know to wait in the hallway
after prayers,
so my oldest can say, "good night!"
three times before finally closing the door.

This is family. 

Cristina M. R. Norcross
Copyright 2014

No comments: