Tuesday, April 29, 2014

National Poetry Month Challenge - Day 29

Today's prompt was to write either a realism poem or a magical poem.  You can probably guess before reading, which would be my choice.

photography by Cristina M. R. Norcross / stream near Rydal Water, U.K.



A Wink and a Blink

Walking over the bridge from solid ground
to hallowed earth –
the stream speaks of stories.
The hidden cave at Rydal Water
welcomes our mortal feet.

With each step
an ageless time unfolds.
Colors seem brighter –
more defined.
Each branch becomes
an ink stain across parchment.
An artist with the most delicate brush
makes these lines jump into my vision.

Eyes squinting at brightness,
I can only catch but a glimpse
of the worlds beneath my footing –
mushrooms blooming
with fairies sunning themselves,
and water sprites diving like dolphins –
waving their small hands in the wind.

I hesitate before unlatching the gate
that leads back to the gravel road –
look behind me –
taking a snapshot
with a single blink.

Cristina M. R. Norcross
Copyright 2014


No comments: