Monday, April 21, 2014

National Poetry Month Challenge - Day 21

Today's prompt was to write a "back-to-basics" poem. This vacation has been about shedding our electronics for long, rambling walks in the Lake District. I traveled a path this afternoon which Wordsworth would have walked. The first line of this poem was genuinely whispered to me. I hope you enjoy this one.


Bare Necessities

It is here that I lay myself bare. 

No purse needed - 
there are no shops here. 
No fancy coat -
just a light jumper will do.
No lipstick -
you need not impress the sheep. 

We ramble on the Lake District trails -
our thoughts rest on stones -
daydreaming our way
through moss covered branches
and bird songs carried by lake air. 

It is in this light
that everything becomes crisp and clear,
as if my eyes have vision for the first time. 

It is here that I lay myself bare. 

Cristina M. R. Norcross
Copyright 2014

No comments: